ADA National Network Learning Session: Accessible Medical Care and Long-Term Care Facilities
28th January, 2021
This session will provide an overview of the minimum requirements in the ADA and ABA Accessibility Standards for Medical Care and Long-Term Care facilities. The presenters will review the scoping and technical requirements for accessible routes, parking at specialized facilities, patient rooms for both medical and long-term care facilities, alarm systems, and toilet rooms in intensive care units. Finally, the presenters will provide a brief overview on the requirements for Medical Diagnostic Equipment
- Participants will be able to describe the minimum accessibility requirements in the ADA and ABA Accessibility Standards for Medical Care and Long-Term Care facilities.
- Participants will be able to identify special provisions for parking, accessible routes, and accessible patient rooms.
- Participates will be able to describe basic design criteria for exam tables, weight scales and radiological equipment.
The Access Board is an independent federal agency that develops and maintains accessibility guidelines and standards for the built environment, transportation vehicles, telecommunications equipment, and information technology under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and other laws.
Bill Botten serves as the Training and Technical Assistance Coordinator at the U.S. Access Board. He has been with the Board for more than 20 years and specializes in access to recreation facilities and outdoor developed areas.
Bobby Stinnette is an Accessibility Specialist at the US Access Board with a focus on medical diagnostic equipment and healthcare. Over 10 years of experience in coordinating a wide range of rehabilitation counseling and case management services.
- Medical care and Long term care facilities(pptx)
- Medical care and Long term care facilities(pdf)
- Medical care and Long term care facilities 2 slides per page(pdf)
- Medical care and Long term care facilities(rtf)
- Transcript 01-28-21(pdf)
- Transcript 01-28-21(rtf)