ADA National Network Learning Session: US Department of Health and Human Services Office of Civil Rights
27th August, 2020
The Office for Civil Rights of the Department of Health and Human Services enforces federal civil rights laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, disability, age or sex. This seminar will focus on OCR's role in enforcing those laws that protect the rights of those with disabilities to have an equal opportunity to participate in a program activity and to have equal access to health care services. The laws that will be addressed include Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Section 1557 of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, and Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Topics will include scope of OCR's jurisdiction and enforcement role, when to consider filing a complaint with OCR, who are covered entities, OCR's complaint process, and recent resolution agreements.
- Gain understanding of OCR's role in enforcement of federal non-discrimination laws that protect the rights of individuals with disabilities
- Gain understanding of the complaint process, types of complaints OCR addresses, and complaint resolution options
- Become knowledgeable of current trends in enforcement such as effective communication, protections for those recovering from opioid addiction, and discrimination against individuals with HIV and AIDS
The Office for Civil Rights of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is charged with overseeing compliance by health care providers and certain other public entities with federal non-discrimination laws.
Alisha Welch, JD serves as the Civil Rights, Supervisory Equal Opportunity Specialist at OCR.
Deborah Kolodner, JD is an Investigator (Contractor) at OCR.
- OCR - Enforcing Disability Rights Authorities(pptx)
- OCR - Enforcing Disability Rights Authorities(pdf)
- OCR - Enforcing Disability Rights Authorities 2 slides per page(pdf)
- OCR - Enforcing Disability Rights Authorities(rtf)
- Transcript 08-27-20(pdf)
- Transcript 08-27-20(rtf)