ADA National Network Learning Session: Managing Service and Emotional Support Animals in Emergencies
14th April, 2022
In preparation for a disaster or other emergency, emergency management agencies have many things to consider such as accessibility of emergency messages, and accessible evacuation and shelters. Emergency management and shelter professionals also must understand how to work with people who have assistance animals in an emergency.
This webinar will explore the issues around assistance animals in an emergency. Topics covered will include a basic overview of definitions and rules around assistance animals, evacuation of assistance animals, and the differences between the types of shelters that allow service animals and those that allow emotional support animals.
- Participants will review the general definitions and requirements of service animals and emotional support animals
- Participants will explore practical solutions for evacuation of assistance animals
- Participants will understand which shelters must allow service animals and which must allow emotional support animals
Jan Garrett , Program Manager, Pacific ADA Center.
- Managing Service_Emotional Support Animals in an Emergency(pptx)
- Managing Service_Emotional Support Animals in an Emergency(pdf)
- Managing Service_Emotional Support Animals in an Emergency 2 Slides Per Page(pdf)
- Managing Service_Emotional Support Animals in an Emergency(rtf)
- Transcript 04-14-22(pdf)
- Transcript 04-14-22(rtf)
- Archived Session Recordings