ADA National Network Learning Session: Earthquake Preparedness For Everyone, With Everyone
9th January, 2020
Everyone, everywhere should know how to protect themselves before, during, and after earthquakes. People with Access and Functional Needs (AFN) or disabilities need to be aware of what steps to take for earthquake preparedness and emergency managers need to be deliberate in including people with disabilities in their advising, education and outreach efforts. In this webinar participants will get an overview of new resources and materials developed by people with disabilities for people with disabilities. Emergency Managers will learn steps to take to include people with disabilities in preparedness education and drills. Earthquake Preparedness is for everyone with everyone!
- Learn how to modify earthquake preparedness and safety steps for Access and Functional Needs and disabilities
- Awareness of educational tools and resources for earthquake preparedness outreach, exercises, and drills
- Understand one best practice model for modifying earthquake training for people with I/DD
Mark Benthien is Director for Communication, Education, and Outreach for the Southern California Earthquake Center at the University of Southern California where he works to increase earthquake and tsunami awareness and to reduce loss. Mark is also Executive Director of the Earthquake Country Alliance, which organizes the annual Great California ShakeOut earthquake drill. He was recognized as a White House "Champion of Change" for expanding ShakeOut participation worldwide.
Shannon M. Mulhall, NIC, ADAC, CASp, is the Chair of the Earthquake Country Alliance Seniors & People with Disabilities Committee, and the ADA Coordinator for the City of Fresno, CA. Mulhall actively serves the community in a variety of ways, including participation on the Fresno Citizen Corps, as a trainer for the Community Emergency Response Team (CERT), and coordinator of the Joint Access and Functional Needs Work Group, which brings to the table emergency management personnel, representative from organizations serving individuals with disabilities, and community stakeholders to strengthen community preparedness and enhance resiliency and recovery efforts.
- Earthquake Preparedness for Everyone with Everyone(pptx)
- Earthquake Preparedness for Everyone with Everyone(pdf)
- Earthquake Preparedness for Everyone with Everyone 2 slides per page (pdf)
- Earthquake Preparedness for Everyone with Everyone(rtf)
- Transcript 01-09-20(pdf)
- Transcript 01-09-20(rtf)
- Archived Session Recordings