ADA National Network Learning Session: Feeling Safe, Being Safe Going Forward
14th February, 2019
Feeling Safe, Being Safe was the first online emergency preparedness training series developed by people with intellectual disabilities for people with disabilities and older adults.
The success of Feeling Safe, Being Safe has encouraged adaptation of this model for training development and delivery on a variety of related disability inclusive emergency management initiatives throughout disaster response, recovery and mitigation.
This webinar will examine the strategies used to develop and pilot the community based online community training module, train-the-trainer series and easy-to-use materials. Webinar facilitators will speak about the value of end-user engagement in emergency management training tools.
Feeling Safe, Being Safe was originally developed by The Board Resource Center and California Department of Developmental Services with funding from FEMA/DHS in 2009.
- Learn the value of end-user input throughout design and training.
- Understand ways to adapt Feeling Safe, Being Safe tools and training for unique regional needs.
- Learn basic methodologies to replicate Feeling Safe, Being Safe tools and training.
Marcie Roth is the CEO of The Partnership for Inclusive Disaster Strategies. Previously, Marcie served as Senior Advisor to FEMA Administrator Fugate and was the Director of the FEMA Office of Disability Integration and Coordination (ODIC) after her appointment by President Obama in June 2009. While at FEMA, Marcie led the national transformation towards integrating the access and functional needs of children and adults with disabilities in all aspects of whole community emergency and disaster preparedness, response, recovery and mitigation.
Mark Starford is the Director of The Board Resource Center (BRC). Since 1994 BRC has been providing leadership training and developing accessible tools for organizations and government agencies that advocate for, and provide services to, underserved communities. BRC's focus is on developing adapted sustainable multi-media materials to increase community inclusion, personal safety, and civic engagement for persons with disabilities and older persons. Recent priorities include disability inclusive emergency preparedness, abuse prevention and end-of-life advance planning.
- Feeling Safe, Being Safe (pptx). This version contains an updated map of Feeling Safe, Being Safe sites as requested in the webinar.
- Feeling Safe, Being Safe (pdf)
- Feeling Safe, Being Safe 2 slides per page (pdf)
- Feeling Safe, Being Safe (rtf)
- Feeling Safe Being Safe Adaptation-Implementation (rtf) This file contains the names and locations of Feeling Safe, Being Safe sites as of February 2019 as requested in the webinar.
- Transcript 2-14-19(pdf)
- Transcript 2-14-19(rtf)