ADA National Network Learning Session: Emergency Planning for Institutional Facilities
13th July, 2017
The International Building Code and International Fire Code have unique emergency criteria for assisted living facilities, nursing homes, hospitals and jails. In these types of facilities there may be legitimate reasons where the typical fire emergency plan to send everyone out using the stairways may not be the best choice considering both the abilities and safety of the residents. This presentation will discuss options for planning, training of staff, practice drills, notification, and evacuation. Criteria for additional protection to be provided by the building construction will also be reviewed.
- Understand why assisted living facilities, nursing homes, hospitals and jails may not be able to use the standard evacuation systems.
- Identify what plans need to be developed and practiced in these facilities.
- Understand what alternatives there are for notification other than standard audible alarms.
- Identify what building elements are required for compartmentation and smoke protection.
Kimberly Paarlberg is a Senior Staff Architect in Technical Services with the International Code Council (ICC). Her experience with ICC includes work in the plan review and code development departments with responsibilities for code development, plan reviews, providing code interpretations, instructing technical seminars and authoring and reviewing instruction materials, code commentary and publication articles. Kimberly serves as code development secretary for the IBC Means of Egress/Accessibility and ICC Administration committees. She is ICC representative for development of the referenced technical standard, ICC/ANSI A117.1 "Accessible and Usable Buildings and Facilities." Kimberly is the staff for the ICC Adhoc Health Care Committee.
Before joining ICC, Kimberly worked as a structural engineer and architect. Kim is a licensed architect in Illinois and holds an Accessibility Inspector/Plans Examiner certification.
- Institution evacuation plans(ppt)
- Institution evacuation plans(pdf)
- Institution evacuation plans 2 slides per page(pdf)
- Institution evacuation plans(rtf)
- Transcript 7-13-17(pdf)
- Transcript 7-13-17(rtf)