ADA National Network Learning Session: Healthcare and Civil Rights During the COVID-19 Pandemic: HHS Office for Civil Rights on Telehealth and Effective Communication
27th October, 2022
People with disabilities have encountered numerous hardships during the COVID-19 public health emergency, including discrimination in the healthcare system. While the increased use of telehealth has opened lines to health care that may not have been available or practical for numerous populations in the past, it has also highlighted accessibility issues. This webinar will discuss recent guidance and enforcement actions from HHS, including Guidance on Nondiscrimination in Telehealth: Federal Protections to Ensure Accessibility to People with Disabilities and Limited English Proficient Persons.
Join us to learn more about the application of civil rights laws prohibiting discrimination on the basis of disability during the COVID-19 public health emergency and other key health policy issues that impact people with disabilities.
This workshop will cover:
- Discuss civil rights laws that protect against discrimination on the basis of disability and how they apply during the COVID-19 public health emergency.
- Learn about issues identified during the public health emergency and guidance issued by HHS to help recipients and providers understand their rights and obligations, respectively.
- Learn how to submit a complaint to HHS if you think your rights have been violated.
John Thompson, is a Civil Rights Analyst in the Civil Rights Division of the Office for Civil Rights at HHS. He is an attorney and a Presidential Management Fellow. Throughout his career in the Federal government, John has investigated and helped resolve allegations of disability discrimination, drafted regulatory and guidance documents on disability rights issues, and provided technical assistance and outreach on a number of civil rights issues
- HHS Office for Civil Rights on Telehealth and Effective Communication(pptx)
- HHS Office for Civil Rights on Telehealth and Effective Communication(rtf)
- HHS Office for Civil Rights on Telehealth and Effective Communication(pdf)
- HHS Office for Civil Rights on Telehealth and Effective Communication 2 slides per page(pdf)
- Transcript 10-27-22(pdf)
- Transcript 10-27-22(rtf)
- Archived Session Recordings