ADA National Network Learning Session: Increasing Equitable Healthcare for People with Disabilities: Lessons Learned During the COVID-19 Pandemic and an Overview of NCD's Health Equity Framework
24th March, 2022
People with disabilities have long experienced barriers in accessing equitable healthcare and the COVID-19 pandemic served to starkly highlight the barriers and discrimination that continue for this population. Changes are needed in the U.S. health care system to address and eliminate these persistent problems to lessen the significant health disparities and poorer health outcomes of people with disabilities. This webinar will present findings and recommendations from the National Council on Disability's 2021 report, The Impact of COVID-19 on People with Disabilities.
- Understand the barriers and discrimination experienced by people with disabilities in accessing health care during COVID-19 pandemic
- Learn several ways to improve health care access and eliminate discriminatory policies and practices
Ana Torres-Davis is a Senior Attorney Advisor at the National Council on Disability and oversaw the development of this report. Ana also oversaw the development of NCD's Bioethics Report Series (2019) which raised awareness of five areas where people with disabilities continue to face discrimination in receiving life-saving and equitable care, and NCD's recent report on Accessible Medical Equipment (2021).
Amged Soliman is a Senior Attorney Advisor at the National Council on Disability (NCD) and serves as Staff Lead on NCD's Health Equity Initiative for people with disabilities. Amged oversaw the development of NCD's just released report, "Medicaid Oral Health Coverage for Adults with Intellectual & Developmental Disabilities - A Fiscal Analysis", which finds that the provision of preventive dental care to people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD) where absent through Medicaid would create a Return on Investment fiscally as well as a matter of health equity.
- Increasing Equitable Healthcare for People with Disabilities(pptx)
- Increasing Equitable Healthcare for People with Disabilities(pdf)
- Increasing Equitable Healthcare for People with Disabilities 2 slides per page(pdf)
- Increasing Equitable Healthcare for People with Disabilities(rtf)
- Transcript 03-24-22(pdf)
- Transcript 03-24-22(rtf)
- Archived Session Recordings