ADA National Network Learning Session: Effective Communications with People who are Deaf and Hard of Hearing
9th October, 2014
In an emergency, communication is crucial to the safety of all citizens. What happens to persons who are deaf, hard of hearing, or deaf blind during an emergency? This session will explore how the effective communication provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act apply in emergency situations. What happens when interpreters aren't available? What technologies are important to incorporate during the notification, sheltering, evacuation and recovery stages? Implementation and culturally affirmative communication strategies will also be discussed.
We encourage you to join us on October 9th, 2014.
- Discuss common communication barriers that are difficult to overcome during an emergency.
- Discuss how ADA implementation in the planning process can reduce/overcome some of those barriers.
- Discuss technologies and resources available that can bridge the gap.
- Candice Alder Candice Alder is an Outreach Consultant for the Colorado Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (CCDHH) where she offers best practice solutions and compliance strategies that provide greater access for persons who are deaf or hard of hearing. In addition to providing training seminars on the ADA, Candice has worked in conjunction with several state, county and city government agencies on providing greater communication access through outreach, consultation and technical assistance efforts. She also provided trainings to deaf and hard of hearing communities on their rights - while educating businesses and government agencies on their responsibilities under the ADA since 2002 as an ADA expert and trainer. She interned at the Colorado School for the Deaf and Blind (CSDB).
- Communication Access Booklet (pdf)
- Communication Access Booklet (word)
- Webinar slides (pdf)
- Webinar slides, two per page (pdf)
- Webinar slides (rtf)
- Webinar transcript pdf
- Webinar transcript (rtf)
- Webinar instructions slides (pdf)
- Webinar instructions slides, two per page (pdf)
- Webinar instructions (rtf)
- Video play back of ADA National Network Learning Session: Effective Communications with People who are Deaf and Hard of Hearing